Baseball ends marathon week of seven games; Trent MacKinney has four hits in 9-6 loss to Golden West Saturday Feb. 23
They played at home in the freezing cold and they played on the road under storm clouds and in brilliant sunshine. But the GCC baseball team got through the need to plays seven games from Feb. 18-23 and after winning three of seven stand 6-6 overall this season.
The accumulation of rain outs over the past few weeks made this week's marathon schedule necessary and despite the team's obvious fatigue, sent Saturday's game into extra innings before falling to visiting Golden West 9-6 in 11 innings.
The schedule and results for the week are as follows:
- Monday Feb. 18-Lost to Grossmont 7-5, Beat Oxnard 14-13 (Michael Choi walk off two-run homer in the 9th inning)
- Tuesday Feb. 19-Beat East L.A. 4-2
- Wednesday Feb. 20-Lost to Pasadena 11-1
- Thursday Feb. 21-Beat Oxnard 6-3
- Friday Feb. 22-Lost to Golden West 15-4
- Saturday Feb. 23-Lost to Golden West 9-6 (11 Innings)
- In Saturday's home game, Golden West led 5-0 in the fourth inning before a two-run homer by Andrew Tinoco cut the lead to 5-3 after Hans Seo scored on a fielders choice by Miochael Choi. A two run single by Lucas Sakay tied the game at 6-6 in the eighth.
Glendale get back to a regular schedule this week with a home game Tuesday Feb. 26 against Chaffey at 2 pm at Stengel Field and play on the road Thursday at Cypress and Friday at Oxnard. Both road games start at 2 pm.